Friday, July 15, 2011

"Can't?" That's not in my vocabulary.

“If you want me to do something… tell me I can’t do it.”
-Maya Angelou

I've heard this quote before and I believe it to be VERY true but I was reminded of it after reading another blog that was suggested by my friend, Gail (a fellow runner). Apparently, some people have read my blog which is surprising, because I didn't expect anyone to actually read it... I guess I'll try not ramble too much in my future posts (can't make the same promise for this one though... Sorry). 

Anyway, I decided to open with that quote because the whole reason that I got really immersed in the gym; making Gold's my second home was in large part due to someone doubting me. Several months ago, I was talking with a (former) friend about working out. I mentioned that I wanted to start working out 5-6 days a week so that it would pretty much become a part of my a daily routine. From what I recall, it takes approx 21-28 days to create a habit so I suggested that I would work out for 4 weeks straight without interruption. And if I remember correctly, that particular "friend" scoffed at the idea. 

Not only did I do the 28 days, I actually ended up doing 31. It was during those 31 days that I really got 'jazzed' about running. Since I was going to workout everyday, I had to mix it up and keep it interesting. There would be cardio days, strength training, a class or two and then a mix of several things. If there was a good movie showing in the CC, I would hang out in there for a while. Each time I went into the CC, I tried to improve upon my previous time and distance. For awhile I was stuck around 3 miles and then the day of "The King's Speech," things changed and from there on I just kinda ran with it (no pun intended).

Anywho, I guess I should actually thank that "friend" for underestimating me because I honestly don't know if I would where I am today. I found that if you put everything out there and let everyone know your fitness goals (and goals in general), your friends and others will hold you accountable. I've pretty much told the whole world that I'm running this half-marathon on November 12th, so I kinda have to do it OR.... come up with a pretty solid excuse as to why I didn't (ex- bad food poisoning or a knee injury perhaps). Hmmm... I'll reserve either of those for Plan B even though I fully intend to ride out with Plan A which includes finishing the d*mn thing and slapping one of those "13.1" magnets on the G. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment